MSGC Apprenticeship Programs
The MSGC Apprenticeship Program is an opportunity for Montana students at all member institutions working in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) to receive funding to work on a major research project with an advisor on their campus. MSGC Apprenticeships are intended to be next steps after smaller undergraduate research projects and can take place during the academic year or summer. Students accepted into the Apprenticeship Program are expected to devote a significant amount of time to their projects, at least 160 hours and up to 400 hours.Pay ranges from $2000 - $5,000/student.We want Montana students to have the opportunity to present their research in the science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields. Funded MSGC students are required, as part of their award, to give an oral or poster presentation (please fill out this form to allow MSGC staff the opportunity to attend your presentation).
To apply for the MSGC Apprenticeship Program please fill out an application form and submit it to the MSGC office along with:
- 2-4 page research proposal that includes the following:
- Title section: student name, mentor's name, institution, and research project title
- Introduction/Background: motivation for why the work needs to be done and/or statement of the problem
- Objectives/Methods/Tasks: what will be done and how
- Timeline and expected number of hours needed for each objective/task
- References (research journal articles, webisites, mentor publications, etc.)
- Resume or CV
- Unofficial college transcript
- Recommendation letter from research advisor
Apprenticeship applications are evaluated on a rolling deadline. Please allow 1 month for review.
- Online Apprenticeship Application
- Apprenticeship Projects
- Getting Started on an Undergraduate Research Proposal
If you are awarded an apprenticeship, you must complete the Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) training course.
A final report of at least 2 pages must be completed at the end of the term as well. Submit final report here.